(727) 490-8712 5027 Central Avenue St. Petersburg, FL 33710 Monday-Friday 8:00am–7:00pm
Site Navigation

3 Important Immigration Facts to Keep in Mind

Turning 21 years of age. If you are an unmarried child of a permanent resident, turning 21 years of age may delay the process of becoming a permanent resident or obtaining an immigrant visa. You will no longer qualify as an Unmarried Child of a Lawful Permanent Resident and will convert to the category of an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident. This change in categories may result in a significant delay in your immigrant visa becoming available.
The Child Status Protection Act (CSPA). In certain cases, the CSPA may allow you to retain the classification of child even if you have reached age 21.

Getting Married. If you are the unmarried son or daughter of a permanent resident, and you get married prior to becoming a permanent resident, you no longer qualify for permanent residence through your permanent resident family member. There is no visa category for a married child of a permanent resident.

Note: You must notify USCIS of any change in your marital status after a Petition for Alien Relative has been filed for you and prior to becoming a permanent resident or obtaining an immigrant visa.

Permanent Resident Relative Becomes a U.S. citizen. If the permanent resident relative that petitioned for you becomes a U.S. Citizen, your preference category would change and a visa may be available sooner. This is because you would now be getting a green card as a relative of a U.S. citizen.